Business! Beauty! Bacteria! Bath-based creativity!
This month's magnificent 7 talk all things business, from starting a wholesome men's magazine to starting a healthy living magazine, from how to run one of the UK's biggest charities to where stand-up comedy meets archaeology. Our most eclectic bunch yet are:
- Beauty empiress LIZ EARLE on goodness, guts and GMTV
- Founder of the Oasis charity STEVE CHALKE on running a hairdressers', a library, a cafe... and basically it's like Sim City.
- Peter Kay's Car Share co-creator TIM REID on what businesses can learn from comedy writers
- Stand-up archaeologist PAUL DUNCAN MCGARRITY on the morbid goings-on beneath station escalators
- Free Fringe founder PETER BUCKLEY-HILL on fixing the comedy circuit
- Sorted magazine founder & magician STEVE LEGG on polygons and weird gigs
- Comic and actor DAVID WHITNEY on why the London Olympics was humanity's peak
Find us on Facebook, like us, share us... and this is the Donate/Patreon episode! Give us a click, bung us some change, loving your work.
Comedic behind-the-scenes-ness, from Car Share to Comic Relief, plus fostering + adoption, supporting yourself on tour, and plenty more besides. Each week we chat to 7 fascinating folks from comedy, media, or my street. This time it's:
- Mr Everywhere JOE LYCETT on brilliant show titles, quantum physics & Nigella Farage
- Mr Science ROBIN INCE on meeting Peter Capaldi
- Mr Car Share (co-creator thereof) TIM REID on attaching Peter Kay to your show
- Mr Sitcom JAMES CARY on, well, sitcom
- Miss Israel (honorary title) DAPHNA BARAM on why men do jokes & women do stories
- Dr KRISH KANDIAH on the intricacies of midnight fostering
- Dr Jekyll (ALEXIS DUBUS) and his Mr Hyde (Marcel Lucont) on performing with each other... when you're the same person
Our 'Bring a Bottle' segment asks you to Please Subscribe To My Mailing List... and it's here for the clicking - http://eepurl.com/M6Wbr - so click, you good person, you, click. You can unsubcribe easily enough, and I only send stuff every 6 weeks or so.
Excerpts from our live show mix with regular guests to bring you 7 excellent individuals from comedy, media, my street, and anyone else who dares to cross my path thinking they can get away without being stopped for a chitchat. Fresh from our live show, we get a bit more performative than usual, with two visits to Poetry Corner, as well as, well, this lot:
- Poetic gloating from Radio 4's ROBIN INCE, on those he's overtaken age-wise
- Genuinely useful financial tips from moneyman DOMINIC FRISBY
- 'Being A Comic' by someone who is very good at being a comic, ALEXIS DUBUS
- Singer LORETTA ANDREWS on life on the BV circuit
- Topical jokes from ROB THOMAS: a Russian doll-esque podcast within a podcast
- Radio 1 Roadshow memories with producer CHRIS BYLAND
- Jokewonder MASAI GRAHAM's big screen info-nuggets in the Trivialcove
Next ep in 3 weeks, and in the mean time, I'm doing shows you can come see. Find 'Heptagon Club' and/or 'Paul Kerensa' on Facebook, @paulkerensa on Twitter, and indeed www.paulkerensa.com
One more knee-length episode on money, politics, and weird roles, as we delve into the interests 'n' passions of comedians, actors and people I bump into. Oh, and don't forget our live show - Sun 23rd April at The Bill Murray in London - http://www.angelcomedy.co.uk/events/live-podcast-night/ for tickets. Tweet that web link along with #HeptClubLive, and one name at random will win a bundle of books & DVDs. Come on down!
And this time...
- The original comedy podcaster DOMINIC FRISBY on finance and funniness
- Comedian MATT GREEN on filming Finding Neverland while doing a fringe show
- Actors ANNA NEWCOME, ANNA NICHOLSON & CAMERON POTTS & bizarre panto
- Comedian ERICH MCELROY & theologian, writer and speaker Dr KRISH KANDIAH on Mike Pence's dining practices...
See you at the live show! Spread word. Like/rate/subscribe if you would, and join our Facebook group to get in touch: https://www.facebook.com/heptagonclub/
A brief one-off return, to lure you to our live show in London on Sun 23rd April 2017 - £5 tickets & details at http://www.angelcomedy.co.uk/events/live-podcast-night/. Tweet the link with #HeptClubLive to win books & DVDs. Meanwhile, here are 7 guests we've mustered for your listening pleasure...
- Chortle Club Comic of the Year 2017 CARL DONNELLY on how not to iron backstage
- Writer JAMES CARY on creating The Hurt Locker: The Sitcom
- Comic & pundit ERICH MCELROY on what to expect from Trump
- Radio presenter & backing singer to the stars LORETTA ANDREWS
- Journalist, translator & comedian DAPHNA BARAM on commuting in Israel & Oxford
- JON SANDYS on Leo Sayer
- OWEN SIMS on, well, ditto
More episodes when we can - in the mean time, see you at our live show perchance? Guest details in this episode!
Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/heptagonclub/
Our last of this series welcomes 3 comedians, 2 TV vicars, an acclaimed Muslim broadcaster and a robo-butler. As ever the guests are from comedy, entertainment, and my general (moveable) surroundings. Before we break for a wee while, let's enjoy tales of the comedy circuit and behind-the-scenes access to Radio 2's 'Pause For Thought' slot from 4 whole Pause-For-Thoughters, including...
- Ex-Communard REV RICHARD COLES on his life ban with Hertz Car Rental
- Journalist ABDUL-REHMAN MALIK on encountering Genesis (the band)
- Musicomic ROSIE WILBY on Britpop and Brexit - the comedy circuit version
- Goggleboxer REV KATE BOTTLEY on having a parish called Scrooby
- Edinburgh star JULIETTE BURTON on oysters and Bali philosophy
- Cabaret comedian ABI ROBERTS on being the first British stand-up to take on Russia
- Famed website butler JEEVES on being abandoned for too long
...Then we're off! Stay subscribed, join our Facebook group, RATE US PLEASE! Consider donating at heptagonclub.co.uk, and in our absence, try Paul's other podcast Movie Banter...
Happy New Podcast! 7 more great guests from comedy, entertainment, and my locale. This time...
- TIM VINE on world records and sending a giant poster - but not a show - to the Edinburgh Festival
- SALLY PHILLIPS on Miranda Hart
- MIRANDA HART tries to remember some trivia
- MILTON JONES on good road food
- FATHER CHRIS BEDDING on being a priest AND a comedian
- My WIFE on how to always win Would I Lie To You?
- Pal HENRY KENDALL on the overprevalence of jeans
It's Christmas! Tis the season to... lose the podcast you've just edited. So this is take 2 - and therefore forgive if it's a little bumpy & less polished. But it's still a festive cracker - taking in retro comedy from Blackadder to The Two Ronnies, via inside scoops from QI and The Apprentice... and a comedy legend in person:
- JIMMY CRICKET on his wellie-boot-filled career
- Comedian DAVE THOMPSON on being at the recording of Blackadder II
- A festive song from GAV MILNTHORPE
- QI elf STEVYN COLGAN's favourite fact connections
- Apprentice bronze place RICHARD WOODS on that cafe
- BELINDA CAMPBELL on her dad the writer for The Two Ronnies
- Poet RUSS BRAVO on LPs and weird rock interviews
...and a poetic sneak peek preview from Paul Kerensa's new book